COVID-19 AND YOUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
Here are some things you can do as a volunteer manager during the COVID-19 pandemic
Keep your volunteers informed as your organization makes decisions relating to COVID-19.
- Send information out in multiple formats, email, newsletter, phone calls, volunteer social media, text, etc.
- Share the information your staff has received
- Monitor email outside of business hours to be accessible to concerned volunteers
Suspend volunteer activities and encourage social distancing
Help keep volunteers safe
- Cancel or postpone trainings, meetings, appreciation events or any other volunteer gatherings
- Cancel volunteer shifts or make attendance optional
- Temporarily suspend tracking volunteer attendance requirements or required minimum shifts
Some useful resources:
- Update cleaning procedures for high touch areas for volunteers
- Provide access/opportunities for volunteers to frequently wash hands
- Provide hand sanitizer
- Alter riskier volunteer roles (e.g. touch stations) to provide safer options
- Check in with volunteers, particularly those who might be at high risk for severe illness. You can’t catch or spread COVID through a phone call!