January Webinar: Evaluating Volunteers and Volunteer Programs

• 29 Jul 2016 3:32 PM
    Message # 4163482
    Richard Harker (Administrator)

In January 2017 we will be hosting a Webinar, in partnership with AAM, about Evaluating Volunteers and Volunteer Programs. If you have any interesting stories, strategies, documents, articles, or samples that you would be willing to share; or would like us to discuss certain topics, ideas, or themes, please let us know as we begin to prepare for this webinar.

Last modified: 06 Dec 2016 5:24 PM | Richard Harker (Administrator)
  • 13 Dec 2016 2:27 PM
    Reply # 4457624 on 4163482
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)

Hello!

I think it would be good to discuss how to train volunteers to do peer evaluations. Since volunteer managers have limited time, but evaluation is very important, I think volunteers evaluating each other is helpful, but needs to be done so that it is constructive for the program.

• 25 Jan 2017 10:05 AM
    Reply # 4567757 on 4163482

Hi All,

We are looking forward to presenting a webinar on Evaluating Volunteers and your Volunteer Program this afternoon with the American Alliance of Museums (AAM). Please join us for this conversation.

If you are unable to join us, look out for a future members-only newsletter article about the webinar, and join us in St. Louis at the AAM 2017 Annual Meeting and Conference, where we will be continuing the conversation about evaluation.

Cheers-

Richard

• 26 Jan 2017 12:31 AM
    Reply # 4569045 on 4163482

Great webinar!   I was watching with the group in Tempe, Arizona and it attracted a real mix of people, including several educators from the Animal Welfare League who had heard about it through our local Informal Educators' Group.    We had lots of good discussion afterwards.

• 27 Jan 2017 1:16 PM
    Reply # 4571711 on 4163482

That's so good to hear, Janice. What were the main take-aways and/or discussion points that came up? We're always interested to know how our Webinars are received and what folk took away from them...

Best wishes,

Richard

• 28 Jan 2017 6:45 PM
    Reply # 4573434 on 4163482
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)
    I enjoyed hearing about how to evaluate your volunteer program from the perspective of volunteers, instead of just tracking retention and attendance rates. We have asked volunteers for their input before/after developing new roles and training programs, but haven't evaluated the program as a whole before. I really hadn't even thought of doing a systematic review of your program with staff and volunteers to help improve it, but now I'm sure its something  every program should work on. I think asking volunteers and staff at the museum how they think the volunteer program is doing/how it could improve serving the museum and the volunteers is a really important step to take.
  • 28 Jan 2017 6:49 PM
    Reply # 4573438 on 4163482

Since we were all in the "policy-in-progress" boat our conversation was mostly about that, but also about scheduling software and volunteer recognition.    Several attendees were interested in trying the peer coaching approach.