Paid Staff supervising relatives who are volunteers

• 19 Jan 2017 8:03 PM
    Message # 4557832
    Deleted user

Hi - I'm checking in about when a staff person has a relative volunteering. Do you allow them to supervise the relative or does the volunteer need to work in a different area?

Thank you!

Jan Milroy - Living History Farms, Urbandale, IA

JMilroy@LHF.org

• 20 Jan 2017 2:27 PM
    Reply # 4559211 on 4557832
    Jenny Woods (Administrator)

Having been in this situation I would strongly recommend that the staff member NOT supervise the relative. While it is possible that everything could go well, it is also possible that it could open a can of worms. Other volunteers might perceive favoritism, the relative might press advantages, the staff member might find it difficult to give feedback or evaluation. Call it a conflict of interest and assign the relative to a different volunteer role with a different supervisor. 

Jenny Woods
    Manager of Volunteer Programs
    Seattle Art Museum

• 20 Jan 2017 2:32 PM
    Reply # 4559214 on 4557832
    Richard Harker (Administrator)

Hi Jan,

I've not had this happen to me, but I think to avoid any potential problems it would be a safe bet to have them work in different departments from their relative....just my thoughts though. I don't know if anyone has actually dealt with this?

Richard

• 20 Jan 2017 2:56 PM
    Reply # 4559250 on 4557832
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)

Hi Jan,

This has only come up in the past for me for special events. For example, when we hold a big fundraising dinner or even the volunteer banquet, sometimes a family relation will pitch in. The volunteer is usually only there for the night. Since I haven't had a problem in the past, we have allowed this. If both individuals are adults (i.e. the volunteer is not a teen), I think it is okay for them to be related to their supervisor, as long as the position has a certain distance from internal workings. Such as, I have had volunteers help with filing in the accounting department, but I don't think it would be wise if they were related to the accountant!

I think if the volunteer is planning to work long-term, I think it would be helpful if they report to two people. They should have an "activity" supervisor who oversees/helps with their actual volunteer activity, and also the volunteer supervisor/administrator. One of the staff is the relation, and one of the staff is a third party just in case. This is obviously easier in a museum with at least five or so staff. 

In terms of evaluating and helping this volunteer make changes to the performance of their duties, I think this is where peer evaluation comes in handy. Volunteers who are trained to help each other can make observations and suggestions about performance that a family member might not. The webinar AAMV is offering on January 25th (see the "News" tab) might help with this.

Hope this was helpful! Please feel free to report what you decide and how it works out on the forum. Also, if anyone hasn't done so already, you must hit "subscribe" on the forum's home page to receive email alerts about new messages.

Samantha Roberts

Events, Membership, and Visitor Services Coordinator

Abroms-Engel Institute for the Visual Arts

• 24 Jan 2017 12:16 PM
    Reply # 4566011 on 4557832
    Deleted user

Thank you for your input everyone!