Volunteering to receive something

• 06 Jul 2017 5:52 PM
    Message # 4936379
    Deleted user

Hi - those of us in volunteer management understand that pure altruistic reasons for volunteering are rare, but that's ok. My role is to find out the multiple reasons why a person would like to volunteer for our museum. Some may be altruistic along with others that satisfy their own needs. However, I've watched our society change in terms of always wanting to get something. I don't want to believe that I have to give a mug or t-shirt to everyone who wants to volunteer. Have any of you made changes in the benefits you give your volunteers? Do you feel pressure to give gifts, etc. ?

Thank you!

Jan Milroy, Living History Farms, Urbandale, Iowa

JMilroy@lhf.org 

• 10 Jul 2017 12:37 PM
    Reply # 4960650 on 4936379
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)
    Hi Jan,

I never felt pressure to give gifts to volunteers, but I do feel like I always want to share more opportunities with those who are interested.  

I did a research project in school on why volunteers offer their time. It was very specific to the institution, but most of the volunteers said they volunteered because they liked having the opportunity to learn and share their knowledge with others. They definitely appreciated things like free admission to the museum for their immediate family members, being taken on field trips, and a deep discount at the cafe, but a lot of people were there for the experience. They volunteered because they felt like they were contributing to something and also receiving back knowledge and appreciation. You can make volunteers feel truly included with the institution by letting them share their talents when they have ideas outside of the normal roles, or giving volunteers behind the scenes insight with staff and upcoming exhibits. Sending a birthday card or a get well card when someone is sick goes a long way too.

That said, as a volunteer I always appreciate getting a t-shirt when I volunteer for a big special event day. They're dual purpose because public who don't regular visitors knew who to ask question to, since all star and volunteers wore them that day.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want to discuss further!

Samantha Roberts