Stipended Internships?

• 29 Dec 2017 5:36 PM
    Message # 5652807
    Deirdre Araujo (Administrator)

Hi Everyone,

Last query before the start of the new year:  Do you offer stipended internships?

One of our emeritus volunteers has offered an annual grant of $2000 for interns to serve in San Francisco, CA. It's an expensive city, and this could make all the difference for some of our candidates.   I've been asked to advise the donor regarding the method for selecting recipients and I'd like to hear how others have structured their program. 

This can also serve as the kick-off for an in-depth discussion of Internships in general -- Please share what you have, what you've seen that you admire, and what to avoid!

All the best,

Deirdre Araujo

Manager Volunteer Engagement

Exploratorium 

• 02 Jan 2018 3:47 PM
    Reply # 5656161 on 5652807
    Jenny Woods (Administrator)

Hi Deirdre,

We have both paid and unpaid intern opportunities, but we do not offer stipends - paid interns receive minimum wage. Stipends can open up a bit of a gray area as to whether the intern is an employee or a volunteer, and it is possible that by offering an intern a stipend (which is a nice thing to do!) you open yourself up to the Department of Labor classifying them as an employee and suddenly you are on the wrong side of the law for not paying minimum wage to an employee. State laws also come into play.  It is worth looking into the legal ramifications of stipends. I believe there is an acceptable percentage amount that you can give to a volunteer for "expenses" but it is quite low - something like less than 20% of amount wages they would have received if they were an employee - look that up though, as I don't have the details in front of me. For us, when we did the math, it was such an insignificant amount that we opted to go away from stipends. We don't offer many paid internships, but are committed to working to steadily increase the number each year. It's a start.

Jenny Woods
    Seattle Art Museum

• 03 Jan 2018 10:14 AM
    Reply # 5657269 on 5652807
    Richard Harker (Administrator)

Hi Deirdre-

Great question to get 2018 started with, and an important one too. I think Jenny's response re: being on the right side of labor law is correct, although in my conversations with her she knows this better than I do, so I'm not much help in that regard. 

We're offering a paid summer internship here at the Historic Oakland Foundation and at $10/hour the whole cost of the internship is $2400 (approx.) So it is not a stipend but an hourly range. What differentiates this from other internships here is that it is a department (Preservation and Restoration) that is technically more demanding from the out-set and there is a requirement for greater skill-base in the application/interview process. 

I forget who it was who presented about paid internships at a conference recently and  Jenny recently wrote about this topic in the AAMV newsletter regarding how to distinguish between paid and unpaid internships if you have both at the same time. I'd definitely check that out, if you get a moment. 

Has anyone found any creative ways to pay interns?

Richard

Historic Oakland Foundation

• 04 Jan 2018 2:50 PM
    Reply # 5661827 on 5652807
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)

Hi Deirdre!

AAM has some information on this on their website, most notably Fact Sheet #71 for the Department of Labor. It was referenced in a webinar a while ago as the most pertinent to museums. While it focuses on whether or not a company is required to pay an intern, and your museum desires to provide some compensation (Awesome!), I think it is still helpful. See the link below:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.htm

These are the main points the fact sheet makes, required if you are not paying the intern:

1. Internships are educational experiences

2. For the benefit of the intern

3. Does not displace regular employees

4. Employer derives no immediate advantage from the intern

5. Intern is not entitled to a job at the end

6. Employer and intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages

My current museum is part of a university, and meets these requirements. We do not pay interns, but they are required to receive college credit for the internship, and we make an effort to not take on too many interns at once, which can easily jeopardize #'s 1 and 2 I think.

From the intern perspective, I was fortunate enough (not too many years ago), to have two paid internship. One was a stipend-ed internship that lasted 3 months, the other was a year long internship in which I was paid hourly. The stipend internship was in D.C., and as I was going to school in Georgia, I could not have participated in a internship in that city without the stipend. The hourly internship was offered to me after I demonstrated an independent and consistent work ethic from volunteering at the museum. I would say the stipend gave me peace of mind and flexibility to truly feel like the internship was a learning experience, while the hourly internship helped me focus on completing my project in a very goal oriented manner. I think both methods are useful, and depend on your museum's goals for the internship. Both were great experiences- let me know if you have any more questions on either type.

Hope this helps!

Samantha

Abroms-Engel Institute for the Visual Arts

University of Alabama at Birmingham

Last modified: 04 Jan 2018 2:51 PM | Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)
  • 08 Jan 2018 5:59 PM
    Reply # 5667830 on 5652807
    Deirdre Araujo (Administrator)

Thank you, Jenny, Richard, and Samantha!

I don't offer a stipend right now for the very reasons described above.  I do, however, maintain a set of visa gift cards for interns to use for their own meals and to invite any staff member they choose for an informational interview.

I'm going to do some research on housing support now...