Corporate Volunteers

• 07 May 2019 5:45 PM
    Message # 7328258
    Anonymous

Hello All,

Please forgive me if this topic has come up before, but I'm not finding anything as of yet. I'm curious if anyone has insights to share on successful formats or opportunities granted to episodic, corporate volunteers within your organizations. Have you incorporated a formal part of your volunteer program to include offerings for groups of corporate volunteers and if so, what has proved the most successful way to go about them?

Thanks for anything you might find helpful!

• 08 May 2019 8:31 AM
    Reply # 7329275 on 7328258
    Deleted user

Hi Cristina,

I'm always curious on this topic because we have a lot of interest from Corporate groups and don't have enough opportunities for them! We do regularly use corporate groups for grounds maintenance work (weeding, etc.) since we manage the Memorial as well as the Museum.  We also use Corporate groups to help with fundraising events- both in preparation and on the day. I wish we had more opportunities, so would love to hear others ideas.  

If you want any further details, reach out to me on LWatts@911memorial.org

Lindsay Watts

Director, Volunteer Program

9/11 Memorial & Museum 

• 08 May 2019 2:39 PM
    Reply # 7330022 on 7328258
    Anonymous

Thank you so much Lindsay! That is helpful!

That is exactly the issue around here (though I can only imagine the corporate group interest in your organization there would be x100!) I don't want to create volunteer opportunities that don't fulfill a real need, but our typical volunteer needs are more for the traditional, long-term, volunteer who has received formal on-boarding and training. That being said, I can see having them help during some of our bigger special event weekends - if the coordinating and day-of "orientation" of them doesn't create more work than it needs to.

Does anyone else offer corporate groups special events prep (as Lindsay mentions above) or actual-event "staffing" as volunteer opportunities?

• 08 May 2019 5:43 PM
    Reply # 7330301 on 7328258
    Jenny Woods (Administrator)

Same story here - regular interest from corporate groups and a real struggle to find opportunities for them. Especially when they are looking for something for all 50 (or 100!) employees to do together on the same day. I don't have anything that 50+ people can do simultaneously. So in those cases it is more about educating the corporation about what our capacity is for group volunteers.

We do have groups of 10 -15 help with landscaping projects at our Sculpture Park location. Also having 10 or so people help with set up for fundraising events or a large outdoor winter light festival has worked in the past. For smaller groups (5-10) we have them help at the art activity stations at our Remix - a late night,  21+ event we host 3 times each year.  We currently do not allow any temporary/one-day volunteers, including corporate volunteers, to assist at any event where children are in attendance, since we do not run background checks on those folks. Currently there are conversations happening about changing that rule for corporate volunteers, but it is still undecided at this point. If we do go forward with allowing it, I think we would have small corporate groups help at some of our family festivals and community opening events.   We did try having small corporate groups (4 or so) folks help on busy free days with greeting and wayfinding, but in the end found that the volunteers were frustrated in getting asked soooo many questions that they didn't know the answers to, so it ended up not being very successful.

If someone has solved this corporate volunteer conundrum - speak up!

Jenny Woods
    Assistant Manager of Volunteer Programs
    Seattle Art Museum

• 16 May 2019 8:05 PM
    Reply # 7345921 on 7328258
    Anonymous

Thank you Jenny! I really appreciate this insight, and completely agree on some of those same questions you ran into.

If there's any success we find in the future, I'll be sure to share with you all, too! In the meantime, if anyone else has anything to share on their experience or programs, I'll still be all ears. :)

Best,

Cristina Caballero

MIM Volunteer Manager