Recruitment Around Town - Face to Face

• 29 May 2019 3:27 PM
    Message # 7493850
    Kia Hunter (Administrator)

Hello AAMV!

I am the volunteer manager at the International Spy Museum in Washington, DC. We recently opened our new building (recently closed and moved locations) and created a volunteer program to coincide with the opening. I have been trying to reach out to unconventional places for recruitment and recently visited a bunch of community centers in the area and dropped off some flyers/promotional materials. I've  heard, however, that getting time to speak with people - actual face-to-face time - is best, but am unsure how to make that happen. Reaching out to community organizations, religious organizations, they have been uninterested in giving me time to present to their communities. Does anyone have strategies for this? Any outlets I should be reaching out to? Thanks!

Kia Hunter

• 30 May 2019 8:34 AM
    Reply # 7503165 on 7493850
    Richard Harker (Administrator)

Hey Kia-

I've had some success presenting at Neighborhood Association meetings, its a way to get up in front of engaged folk and tell them about what you're up to. 

Also: we just presented about recruitment, retention, and recognition at the AAM conference and the Audio and slides are posted in the Volunteer Voices members-only podcast section of this site.

Thanks!

Richard

• 30 May 2019 9:46 AM
    Reply # 7504372 on 7493850
    Deleted user

Hi Kia,

We do a lot of face-to-face recruitment at local schools and colleges.  They often have volunteer fairs or can organize a table for you in their lobby, or an information session.  They are always very supportive and students are interested in building their resumes.  Good luck!

Lindsay

Director, Volunteer Program

9/11 Memorial & Museum

LWatts@911memorial.org

• 18 Jun 2019 11:54 AM
    Reply # 7585782 on 7493850
    Samantha Arceneaux (Administrator)

Hi Kia!

I've had success in the past with volunteer fairs at colleges, as Lindsay has.

I'd also suggest reaching out to the volunteers you have now.  As civic minded people, they are often involved in multiple community groups. See if any of them can help you connect with the other organizations they are part of, and if they can help you find an outlet to present to those groups. Even just 10 minutes before a meeting can help. If you can't make their meetings, see if you can empower your volunteers with an elevator pitch for your organization and some applications, ans have them help you recruit.

Hope this helps!

Samantha Arceneaux